Carroll Gardens is a neighborhood at the heart of brownstone Brooklyn. It is named after Charles Carroll, the first senator of Maryland during the American Revolution, and also for the the large gardens in the front yards of its many historic
• Generally three- to six-story buildings built in the 1800’s through the early 1900’s. Some are single-family homes while others are multi-family buildings.
• Brownstone in particular refers to a townhouse with a brownstone exterior. Commonly found in Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan.
• It is also possible to purchase an apartment within a townhouse. The apartment would be considered a co-op or condo, not a townhouse.
Carroll Gardens is bounded by DeGraw and Warren Streets to the north; Hoyt and Smith Streets to the east; the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway to the west; and the Gowanus Expressway to the south. It was originally considered part of Red Hook until construction began on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, which created a natural separation between Carroll Gardens, Red Hook, and the Columbia Street Waterfront District.
Carroll Gardens is served by the F and G trains at two separate stops along Smith Street. Carroll Park, which occupies the block between Carroll, President, Court, and Smith Streets, is the third-oldest park in Brooklyn.